Queensland first vet clearance to take place at Winter Carnival
Saturday 22 April
For the first time in Queensland, pre-race veterinary examinations will be required for certain horses running in the 2023 Winter Carnival.
The new requirement is part of the Queensland Racing Integrity Commission (QRIC)’s effort to bolster animal welfare activity.
All horses accepted to run in Group 1 events and 2YO Stakes races, as well as the Battle for the Bush final, must provide a veterinary certificate of fitness at an acceptance time, including any relevant information that will assist the QRIC veterinary team.
Participants must provide veterinary clearance, and any information about abnormalities and injuries, directly to the QRIC veterinary team as a condition of acceptance.
QRIC Chief Steward of Thoroughbreds Josh Adams said the new requirement will allow Stewards and the QRIC veterinary team to make informed decisions on the fitness and welfare of horses engaged to race in the Winter Carnival.
“Additional information from stable veterinarians will be invaluable to QRIC veterinarians during their pre-race examinations, improving the safety of both horses and jockeys,” said Mr Adams.
“QRIC stewards are looking to expand on this process for future carnivals, and we believe that the Winter Carnival is the ideal opportunity to launch our efforts to bolster animal welfare oversight in this major series on the state’s racing calendar.”
Mr Adams said that QRIC stewards and the QRIC Animal Care and Advocacy team will be available to assist participants in navigating the new process.
“On acceptance days, we will be in direct contact with any participants who encounter any problems with submitting a veterinary clearance,” Mr Adams said.
The requirement will come into effect from Wednesday 26 April at acceptance for the Dalrello Stakes at Eagle Farm and will apply to the following Winter Carnival events:
- KEN RUSSELL MEMORIAL CLASSIC GR3 2YO SW 1200M $200,000
- CARTER STAKES LR 2YO FILLIES SW 1200M $160,000
- OXLADE STAKES LR 2YO SW 1300M $160,000
- DALRELLO STAKES LR 2YO SW 1000M $160,000
- CHAMPAGNE CLASSIC GR2 2YO SW 1200M $300,000
- BRC SIRES’ PRODUCE GR2 2YO SW 1400M $1,000,000
- THE PHOENIX LR 2YO SW 1500M $160,000
- J.J ATKINS GR1 2YO SW 1600M $1,000,000
- TATTERSALL’S STAKES LR 2YO SW 1400M $160,000
Group 1 races
- DOOMBEN 10,000 GR1 WFA 1200M $1,500,000
- DOOMBEN CUP GR1 WFA 2000M
- KINGSFORD SMITH CUP GR1 WFA 1300M $1,000,000
- QUEENSLAND DERBY GR1 3YO SW 2400M $1,000,000
- QUEENSLAND OAKS GR1 3YO FILLIES SW 2200M $700,000
- STRADBROKE HCP GR1 HCP 1400M $3,000,000
- TATTERSALL’S TIARA GR1 F&M WFA 1400M $700,000
- BATTLE OF THE BUSH FINAL HCP SC 1200M $200,000
Media contact: Chris Reid 0418 656 244